Tuesday, July 15, 2014

English classes for whom?

McKellar, me, and Budge (Shane Hatch's nephew)
Yep the past year went by super fast. I cant imagine how fast this next one will go. I have loved it so far! On Friday we had a conference in Garden City all day long. So that was my fourth of July. But it was good. Got to spend it with Elder MCkellar
 
This week was pretty good, on Friday I was on exchanges in Hugoton Kansas. Its a super small town. But then I got sick on Saturday morning really bad. I got really cold, and shivery and had a huge headache, so I pretty much slept all Saturday and Sunday. Couldn't even go to church yesterday. And my whole body broke out into some sort of rash. I'm not sure what im sick from. But I still don't feel so good.
 
 But anyways a guy from Sudan called us and asked us to come over, so we went to his house, and we set up an English class for the Africans here in town too. So now we teach Arabic to Spanish to all these people from Africa. It is tons of fun. And an awesome way to introduce people to the gospel, because the people that come to a class like that are generally more humble people than you would find otherwise.  So now we are teaching five English classes a week. Tuesday and Thursday at 1PM And 7PM at the church. And then Thursday at 12PM at the fire station to all the firefighters. But the miracle of it all was that on Tuesday we set up the African English class, and on Wednesday we were walking down the street, and a black guy was yelling from behind us "my brothas". So it turns out he is a member that just barely moved here from Iowa. He has all these tribal scars on his face. Pretty cool guy. But if we can get him to the class and everything, we could be potentially teaching Africans the gospel. You would have never thought in Guymon Oklahoma.
The Seaboard -Guymon pork processing plant, located in the Oklahoma Panhandle, opened in 1995 and processes about 20,000 head of market hogs a day.

But apparently there are 28 different countries represented in the workers at the pig plant here(seaboard). And tons of different languages. Our apartments are mostly full of people from Africa.


Campo Chino-where the Chinese play soccer. feels like a third world country.


On July 5 we were in this town name Hooker Oklahoma, north of Guymon visiting a part member family. And it was funny, they celebrate the 4th on the 5th because there is only one guy certified to do the fireworks in the area, so on the fourth he is Guymon, and so IN hooker the day is completely changed to the 5th. Funny small towns.

 
 
I have really had to learn to understand Cubans here! don't know if you've ever spoken with one, but they are pretty difficult to understand, when I got here I didn't understand a word they said. But now I can understand them pretty good. There are a ton of Cubans here. And we teach some of them too. You can always tell they are home if their door is open. If it isn't they aren't home. And when you knock on a door, and the guy who answers it is shirtless then he is definitely Cuban. For some reason they just do not wear shirts. Not even kidding.  There is a less active member here who is Cuban as well.
Other than that everything is great! Pray that I Heal soon, my whole body aces. I feel pretty terrible

No comments:

Post a Comment